Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, who also holds Finance portfolio presented the State budget for 2015-16. This is the 10th budget by Mr. Siddaramaiah and third after becoming the Chief Minister.
Speaking at the session, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah talks about communal harmony and upliftment of backward classes. He mentioned that the SC/ST and other backward classes are the priorities of the government.
Here are some pointers from the Chief Minister’s Budget speech:
* CM listed out some policies started out by the State Government:
* State GDP growth estimated at 7%
* Poems by Basavanna and Kuvempu find their way in the CM’s Budget speech
* Five agricultural produce markets to be set up in State at Bidar, Dakshina Kannada and Uttara Kannada
Horticulture college to be established at Haveri district
* Loans taken for failed bore-wells will be waived
* New agricultural science campus to be established at Shivamogga
* Drip irrigation for sugarcane field
* No FMD (foot and mouth disease) or animal diseases reported this year. The schemes implemented for the purpose were successful
* Brindavan Garden at KRS will be upgraded to world class tourist place
* New helpline for animal and veterinary-related services.
* Primary and Secondary Education gets lion’s share of Rs. 16,204 crore in the 2015-2016 budget
* Fisheries Department – PPP, Information Centres at 10 Districts, Rs. 297 Crores Sanctioned
* Government school children will finally be able to wear socks and shoes. Rs. 120 crores allotted for that.
* 200 government schools & 100 PU colleges to be declared Green power schools. Solar electric equipment to be installed
* Committee to be set up to rope CSR funds to improve infrastructure in government schools
* 1,000 more schools under Tele-Education Programme with IIM-B
* Infrastructure improvements in govt B.Ed colleges
* Transgender policy to be implemented. Rs. 20,000 will be given to 1,000 transgenders
* Chair to be set up at University of Mysore to take up research on writer U.R. Ananthamurthy
* Honorarium of anganwadi workers to be enhanced by Rs. 500 and assistants by Rs. 250 per month